Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Resolutions

Wow, it's been over a year. Fifteen months to be exact. Too long between blog posts. I've done plenty of micro-blogging (Facebook and Twitter), but nothing that requires any prolonged thought and effort. So, the question is "why?" Why have I not blogged in so long? I want to blog. I want to become a better writer. I want to learn from my experiences and my mistakes. One of the best ways to do that is to stop and examine them. But do I really want to do this? Maybe some part of me does not want to take a look inside. Maybe I'm afraid of what I'll find. Maybe I'm afraid no one will care.

So, I've made some resolutions. Original, I know. But here they are:

1. Study the New Testament. In 2010, I read through the Old Testament using the One Year Bible. I discovered (and re-discovered) many things in my reading. But I did not take the time to really study and reflect. I plan to dwell on the Scriptures. This may take more than 1 year; if that's the case, so be it.

2. Run 1000 miles. To a non-runner, this may sound crazy. But last year, I ran 988 miles. I racked up most of those miles (almost half) in training for my marathon in December. But my running was spotty in late spring and summer. My goal is to be more consistent this year. 1000 miles / 50 weeks = 20 miles per week (allowing for two weeks off). I tend to slack off on my running if I'm not training for a race...which leads me to my next resolution.

3. Run 6 Half-Marathons. I ran 3 half marathons and 1 full marathon last year, so this is only a slight increase. I should always be training for a race without the stress of a full-length marathon.

4. Blog at least once per week. Perhaps Resolutions #1-3 will provide plenty of material for regular blogging. In fact, I know they will. Its just a matter of transferring my thoughts from mind to page.

Feel free to hold me accountable to these resolutions, by the way. If I don't blog, call me on it. If I don't blog about running, ask me how it's going. If I don't blog about NT stuff, ask me about that, too. There are plenty of cold, sleepy mornings when I do not feel like running. But I know my running buddy will be there waiting for me. And that gets me moving.

Here we go...

No comments:

Post a Comment