Saturday, January 30, 2016

Stumble and Fall

I had the great pleasure of spending the morning on the trails of Oak Mountain State Park on a cool, crisp, clear day. I parked at the North Trail Head and took off up the rugged and steep Blue Trail. I was headed for King's Chair. Reaching the edge of the overlook, I took a few minutes to admire the view and reflect.


On the way down from King's Chair, it occurred to me that I had not fallen on a trail in awhile. I had hardly even stumbled on my way up. I found this amusing since I had recently fallen while running on the roads...twice. As I made my way along the South Rim on the Blue Trail, I was a extra careful with my footing not wanting to ruin my trail streak.


I also paused for a moment at the highest point in the park, Shackleford Peak, to take a few pictures and to rest for a bit. I knew that the toughest section of trail in the entire park lay before me: the descent on the White Trail. Fortunately, I had made the descent many times. I knew the trail well. I was familiar with its jagged rocks and sheer drop-offs. I knew the spots where I was likely to turn an ankle or stub my toe on a protruding root. I took my time. I was cautious. I carefully placed my feet on solid ground. And I did not fall.


As I reached the smooth trail at the bottom of the hill, I smiled at having avoided a tumble. I reflected on how I had averted trouble. I had experience. I had fallen in certain spots before. I was aware. I proactively looked for difficult situations and avoided them. 

I could not help but think about my life. I'm a little older now. I've made mistakes. But this experience has made me cognizant of the troubles I may encounter going forward. I know how to avoid the mistakes I've made in the past. I am familiar with the rocks in my life. I know the roots that have tripped me up before. And this has made me aware of other potential pitfalls that lay out there before me.

And so on I run while I still have strength. I could avoid stumbling altogether by not running trails. But, not falling is not the goal; successfully navigating the trails of my life is the goal. 

Funny how the words "trails" and "trials" are so close.


No comments:

Post a Comment